Friday, January 16, 2009

I'm that good

I guess it comes with being the boss...
Everybody wants a job. Not everybody, but a lot more than I would have probably guessed, and who knows, someday it may actually happen, but how would I choose,
out of all the people who want the job, who would get the job.
One day I got tired of telling people that I wanted to see their portfolio.

It worked well enough, most people either had no portfolio, or were never heard from again. A few produced portfolios, but they weren't always as telling as I anticipated.
So I did what only seemed logical, I created a test.

Partially because I had a photo that needed to be fixed, and partially because I knew that this photo would take an exceedingly high level of competence. And while I knew the photo would be hard, maybe even hard beyond reason, I knew that it would tell me how good an applicant was. That clearly, by the time the photo had been fixed I would know how much a person knew, and to some degree, how easy it would be to teach them the parts of my work that they might be able to do.

A test for anyone who thought they could do it.
A test for anyone who would come.

And they did come.

And they tested and all were found wanting.

None of the people who wanted a job could really do it,
yeah, some of the people were ok, and
the test was hard.
REALLY HARD.

I knew this from the beginning,
In fact I thought the test might be too much.
Perhaps a visual... this is my test:


Well one day finally came.
A day when I would take the test.
And it was hard.

I had made a few feeble attempts months before,
but nothing I tried produced the results that I desired.

I decided that I would have to start at the beginning.

And start I did,
It was hard.

The closer I got, the less I felt that I would be happy with the results.
But I still had some things I could try.
And so I tried. I tried a lot of things.
None of them were doing what I really wanted to see.
None of them could salvage this old and faded photograph.

And then something worked,
Something... I'm not even sure what, but it really worked.
I was getting close.
And then I was really close.


I knew it would be hard, and at times I thought it might be too hard for me.
'I'm good' I thought, '...but that good?'
I wasn't sure, not until I finished, and the crowds went wild,
yeah turns out, I'm that good. Ü


9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The man in that picture looks like it could be you... I mean, if you were really, really cheesing it.

Good work on the photoshopping. (Why did the computer put a squiggly red line underneath 'photoshopping'? I swear that's a word.)

tearese said...

Looks good. I don't know if I could fix it that good, but I think I would get close.

warnser said...

ha ha, yeah, I'm pretty sure it's not.

Photoshopping may not be a word, but I use it as a verb, a noun, an adjective, and anything else I can find.

Thanks.

yeah, if you could get close (and frankly, I wouldn't be all that surprised) then that would be good enough to work for me probably.

like I say, I wasn't even sure that I could do it that well, and well, it's what I do.
Ü

Thanks. Ü

Cardine said...

Yeah, I would have no idea what I was doing. It looks good. They look something like your neighbors.

julie said...

I'm impressed! I guess I shouldn't be, since it's what you do, but I still am. Like Cardine, I wouldn't know what to do, where to even start! Well done!

Emily said...

You did a great job! Thats really cool that you can take a dull lifeless picture and bring it back to life.
Amazing.

Dana Cheryl said...

Wow! Could ya possible find a way to put my head back on? My mom always chops it off. lol. I've told her that it must be some deep-seated issue causes her to behead me. Maybe I was Marie Anoinette in a past life or something. :)

warnser said...

Thanks.
Yea I've been doing these things for years, but that is one of the harder pics I had to work on. Re-Capitating someone would seem like a picnic in comparison. My brother has that problem too. His head is always cut off, but mostly by random people taking the pics... and since he's the tallest thing in the picture... well, it happens a lot.
but yeah I've changed faces, and taken people out, and done lots of other things with a picture.

thanks again to everyone for your thoughts.

Dana Cheryl said...

LOL! I'll tell mom that there's hope I can re-capitated. I actually have the nickname Marie Antionette among the folks in the fam. :)