Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thinking with the front of your mind

It seems to me that a lot of people
are doing a lot of thinking.

Everything we do starts with a thought
but sometimes we are not aware of the thoughts
that lead us to our actions.

I think that in the back of our minds we are thinking about something,
but quite often if someone asked us why we did it,
we might not fully know.

The trick is to bring our thoughts from the back of our mind to the front.

I think this can be good for the people around us
as well as ourselves.

but it's not easy.

Probably we have been conditioned to separate our thoughts from our identity.
that way people don't have access to our true persona.

That way we are a lot less vulnerable.
We are safe and protected.

Actually we are not all that safe,
but it feels safer.

It's that whole thing where we have problems,
but they are familiar, so they are more comfortable.

We choose to keep out of the front of our minds,
because
somehow we have made that an alien territory

It's almost like it scares us, or at least that we're not quite comfortable there.
But as with most places,
the more time we spend there, the more we come to like it,

It just makes more sense,
and ironically, so do we,
we have more power.
more power within,

and more power to affect our environment
and our world

And so I guess I make a proposition
that we think with the front of our heads ,

After all,
we are already seeing there, and smelling there, and tasting there.
(in a basic (1st grade) kind of way)

3 comments:

julie said...

I think I understand what you are saying (though maybe not), and to an extent, I agree with you. I agree that sometimes it feels safer to leave deep thoughts back in the recesses of your mind. Safer because you may be able to ignore them back there. Safer because then no one else can see them and judge them. Safe, but not necessarily the best for you. Is that what you mean?

I think it's important to have deep thoughts, and maybe they have to start at the back of the mind. There you can mull them over, form them, perfect them maybe. And, decide which thoughts should be brought to the front?

It's exasperating if you're around someone a lot who appears to be doing a lot of thinking and you don't know what they are thinking about. Especially if what they are thinking about may concern you.

Can I ask what the inspiration for this post is? Naturally, you don't have to answer, if you don't want to. I just think it's an interesting topic.

Glad you posted again, though. I've missed you.

Okay, this is qualifying for one of the longest comments ever, so I'm stopping.

Now.

No, now!

warnser said...

Wow that's a cool picture.
Yes that's what I meant.

But I guess my blog is a bit more about what we do than what we think.
Just being aware of the connection between the two.

What inspired this?
On a shallow level,
I needed ablog that I could write quickly,

On a slightly different level, I have a store of blogs that I havce started but don't always have time to finish right when I start them, some of them are easy, and some of them take thought.

and on the third level, I have noticed a number of people who 'act without really knowing why' If you ask them why they did something they couldn't tell you.

I remember quite clearly having this pointed out to me.

Some years ago, I noticed that some people weren't thinking with the front of their minds' oddly one of them inadvertently taught me that I wasn't really doing it either.

And so I have been pondering this for a time now, and I think this is probably a cultural phenomenon that may not have existed to the same extent in earlier times.

But I thought it would be fun, and easy (even if not necessarily clearly presented) to write about.

And of course I did it for you.
I knew someone was waiting for a blog, so I decided to write. I started on a couple topics, and this one wrote itself in a timely manner.
thanks.
W

tearese said...

wow, you do still exist! so are you engaged or what?