Saturday, May 20, 2006

Part II:Used, it's not as bad as it sounds.

The other day, Johnson got married, If you're reading top down, you already know that.
As some of you know, I do some work for weddings.
Actually I started my business, with weddings in mind.
I'll admit, some are better than others, but still I do weddings.
Now here's the odd part, Johnson and I go way back, but they didn't have me make the video.
But it gets even better.
Somehow, something went awry, they ended up showing the video on a very small screen,
I'm guessing it was between 9 and 12 inches.
Just two four blocks from where the reception was held I keep a 27 inch TV,
Just for this purpose, just one simple call, and it could have been theirs.
actually if they had given me a couple of days notice, I could have probably even scored a projector. But alas, I was not used.
But here's the thing, I like to be used.
I think people should be used,
Not abused, but used.
used still sounds bad, I guess I'll go on.
I like it when I can help someone else.
I like knowing how to do something, and when others know that I do.
In this case, I could have include the rental in their present,
but I guess ultimately I don't care that much about money.
I'd be happy to work for little or nothing,
as long as I knew my family had enough.
As odd as it sounds,
I guess I like to work.
(I know, I'm as lazy as the next guy, but I really do like some good work)
Even if I had enough money,
I would still need to work.
I guess I just like to help people out.
especially when I can do something well,
and also, when that is recognized.

5 comments:

Cardine said...

"...as long as I knew my family had enough..."

But what is enough?

Anonymous said...

I think I understand what you mean about wanting to be "used" by people you care about. I take it as a complement when my friends ask for my help or my stuff - to me it means that they consider me a part of their lives. I feel bad when people obviously do not want my help or stuff; I shouldn't feel bad, because they probably just don't want to take advantage of me and/or have confused indepedence with doing/having everything by way of their own means. But... we need people... and people need to be needed.

warnser said...

It's true, enough is a tough concept.
For me, it starts with food and shelter. I could pass on most luxeries. Many people for many generations have lived on very little, and had complete, happy, and fulfilling lives. Enough for me, would be less than I grew up on, idealy, maybe a little more, but I really don't think I need too much.

Cardine said...

I admit that I aspire to monetary richness. One of my ultimate goals in life is to become independently wealthy. I think that it would be good to become so financially stable that I could retire and serve many missions. I like to be able to have enough so that when a family member's car breaks down, I am able to jump into a gas-guzzling vehicle and drive through the night to save them from their lack-of-transportation-misery. I would like for the Lord trust me enough with an abundance of money because He would know that I would use it to build up His kingdom.

I also believe in working. I believe in reasonably compensating people for the work that the person completes. I don't believe in the barter system. This is how the market works. I think that the market adjusts according to supply and demand and that, as a society, we reap benefits from our actions. I believe that this is a good thing.

I believe in a nation that increases it's GNP annually because people are working hard and are being smart with their money. I think that we can all gain from this system and create a Zion in this manner.

I agree that frivolity isn't necessarily good; however, in my question of "what is enough?," I am alluding to the fact that what is "enough" to you may not be "enough" to your family. Perhaps you think that slapping a patch on a pair of jeans (or the passing down and passing down of an old shirt) will suffice for one of your kids, but perhaps that kid reads a passage in a youth pamphlet that says:

Always be neat and clean and avoid being sloppy or inappropriately casual in dress, grooming, and manners. Ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?”

...and perhaps their comfort level is different than yours.

I am now done with my diatribe. For now.

warnser said...

I really don't think the Lord cares how many people have worn something before you do. The God that I believe in says "Give me your very best, and I will receive you with open arms."

It's true, enough is still a tough concept, but I don't believe a family is a monarchy. Still I do believe that most of us confuse wants and needs.

And many missions is a goal of mine too.