Monday, September 15, 2008

The Pinnacle of Perfection

President Spencer W. Kimball said that we should look for a spouse that reaches as near the pinnacle of perfection as we can find. But how do we know if we're being too picky.

Clearly only one person has ever achieved the status of perfection, but all the rest of us fall short, often very short. I wouldn't even begin to imagine what sins or mistakes Nephi must have made, and yet he exclaimed "Oh, Wretched man that I am!" He had his problems, The fact is we all do.

The question I have to wonder about is how do we define that person not at but near pinnacle of perfection?

It's funny how our paradigms get set. How they shift, and how they stay the same. Sometimes they are set as it were in stone, and sometimes even when we think we know what we want we end up going a different direction.

So how did we get these paradigms and ideas? Were they something someone gave to us? Did we find them lying in the street, or did we grow them like seeds, in the gardens of our minds hearts? Perhaps we create them. It could be we create them without even knowing?

Often times we like the things with which we are most familiar. This being the case, those people who we grow up around, and who impact our lives have a good chance of being a part of our paradigms. Sometimes though, these paradigms become a little too rigid. In the grand scheme of things I really believe that it doesn't really matter what we choose to do with our lives,
but more that we do something, and that we do it to the best of our abilities. I believe that the way we do things is as important if not more, than many of the things that we may choose to do. Don't get me wrong, I understand that people may get used to a standard of living, or other such things, and I think that's ok, but I guess I also believe that we live in a land and an age of opportunities. Many of our societal paradigms are tumbling all around us. Sometimes I think our paradigms could use a good tumble too.

There are some other ways that our definition or ideal could be created. Sometimes we hear something from a friend. Sometimes we hear things from what some might call a good friend (others might call it a TV). Sometimes we create paradigms just by talking about what we think we want.

Regardless of the paradigms we end up with, it seems very unlikely that someone else will share them exactly. It seems even less likely if we have too many of them, that someone will actually meet them all.

Now I don't think it's bad to know what you want, and I think it's great when a person understands themself well enough to know what works for them, but I also think it is possible for us to lose focus on the things that really matter most.

People used ask President Kimball what they should look for in a spouse and on occasion he would say something like this: 'Find someone like mine and you'll do alright.'
Sometimes when I look at his wife that seems a pretty tall order, but then when I look back through life I realize that there have been quite a few people that I have known that would probably meet that standard. Sure there may not always be a ton of them, but there always seem to be some. And I would imagine that there are probably more than we would think.
and sometimes they are closer than even we could imagine.

If we ask the right questions, we will probably get the right answers,
if we ask the wrong questions, we may still get answers, but a good old fashion paradigm could prevent us from understanding the answers that we get.

I guess sometimes we just need an open mind a willingness to try,
and of course faith, lots and lots of faith.

12 comments:

tearese said...

You also have to keep in mind that you're looking for what that person may become, not what they are now. When I was dating my husband, he had never been to college, and had thought about it several times but never followed through. But I could see that he really did have that desire, and I could be the motivating factor to help him become more.
Years earlier, I don't think I would have even considered marrying someone who hadn't gone to college by age 27, but at the time I saw many other qualities and potential qualities in him.
You're also set up for disapointment even if you do date someone that seems near perfect, for as you get to know them better (which may not be till after marriage) you'll find far more flaws than you've ever thought were there!
And I'm not talking about my spouse, I'm talking about how much more he's learned about ME since we said I Do.
Just a thought from the other side.

Cardine said...

Heh. The funny thing is that I wouldn't even say that my standard is near the pinnacle of perfection. And yet, there are few (if any) that meet the minimum of the standard that I do have. And I realize that I meet most people at church, but you would think that would help, not restrict the numbers in the pool of possibilities.

I think I need to work on the faith part.

warnser said...

Tearese, thanks for your thoughts from the other side. I love it when a comment improves, and expands on what was initially written, and I think your comments definitely do that.

I agree 100% about seeing not only what a person is but what they may become. I think love helps us to make that leap of faith.
And it's amazing how much more someone can become when someone believes in them.

part two:
I think sometimes people go through relationships with rose colored glasses, and I understand the value in looking for the good in people, but sometimes those glasses do a lot more damage than good, because we ignore things that could easily come back to bite us.

I love what has been said by many a leader.
keep your eyes wide open before marriage, and half shut after.

warnser said...

Cardine that's an interesting point.
Why do you think so many fall short?

Cardine said...

I'd have to go with laziness and/or sin.

And, I'm working on figuring out the other part of it.

julie said...

In Little Women, Mrs. March said about Meg that she didn't need scores of suitors, just one right one. That's what I'm aiming for. I don't mind that I don't get asked out a lot, or that there doesn't seem to be many (or any lately) men who meet my idea of "perfect" and vice versa. I'm just trying to have hope that someday a guy will come along that will fit me, my personality, my wants, my lifestyle, etc., and that I fit him and his.

I really like Tearese's comments about seeing a person's potential AND that they are actually making some sort of an effort towards reaching that potential. My last boyfriend has acres of potential but wasn't doing anything about it, unfortunately.

It's been said that love is blind. I believe the opposite. I believe that love can help you see a person for who they really are, and because you love them, you accept them, flaws and all. Yes, they may still do things that bug you, but you don't stop loving them because of it. Anyway, that's what I hope.

warnser said...

tangential commentary. It is odd, how some people who don't think that they get asked out much seem to go out more than they would think. I remember A discussion we once had about this. Where I thought I had not been out so much, but when we talked about it multiple people in the group had had their most recent date with me!

Still I heard it from a girl the other day, and I thought of multiple date that I know of in the recent weeks/ months, and I thought how much is much?
Maybe we just need a date-o-matic or something. A machine that finds what little time we may have available for such things, and
Finds someone else who has an ounce of free time in that same small window.

Ü

warnser said...

Oh and Julie,
Well said

Anonymous said...

There's just so much here. So much.

Firstly, about the paradigms. Today I told a classmate that I wanted her to be my mentor. She is a masters student and has even co-taught one of my classes. In a lot of ways she is more liberal than I would like to be. She also takes the Lord's name in vain quite often, something I don't want to emulate, either. But, I see so much strength in her. She seems to know what she wants and how to get it. I also see sometimes that she really is just as vulnerable as I feel, but she moves on. Moves forward. Of course, I don't know everything about her, but I like her boldness and courage. I guess my point here is... I really feel like I could gain a lot by knowing and interacting and emulating someone... someone who I may have thought I was "too good for" otherwise. I just think it takes a little wisdom to know which attributes to adapt into my own life and which to leave alone.

How's that for a tangent?

Secondly, one thing that I learned from my last boyfriend (ha, he was also my first, but who's counting?) was that I need someone to accept me for who I am... especially because I have a hard time doing it for myself in the first place. Talk about expectations! I think the pinnacle I have set for myself far exceeds what anyone can achieve, including myself, of course. I know I shouldn't base my own perception on other's perceptions of me, but... I guess this is what I'm trying to say... I need to marry someone who, when I finally accept my feet of clay, will say, "I already understand that about you and love you anyway."

I didn't mean for that to rhyme.

Thirdly, the rose-colored glasses. I feel like I'm a fairly optimistic person, so I think my glasses will always have a slight pink tinge to them. But, I agree.

I agree.

JanD said...

Get enough paradigms and you'll soon have a paradollar--however, you won't be any richer for it.

I've often thought (and argued) about this potential marriage partner paradigm. Sometimes, I have had a difficult time expressing what I believe or accepting what others believe. Probably because sometimes we limit ourselves by our paradigms.

Yes, we want to find someone who is perfect for us. But, is that reasonable?

I stumbled on a talk by someone (sorry I don't remember who and I can't find the source)who addressed this particular paradigm well. He (I think it was done by a he)mentioned that this looking for perfection was not such a good idea because some of those divine characteristics we are looking for are best developed together.

This is such a beautiful idea because it supports that whole concept of "being one" in a partnership. Not to mention the fact that it is often easier to grow when you have the support and encouragement from someone you love and trust.

So, as we seek for pretty-darn-close-to-perfect, let us remember that each of us are still learning and developing. All of us make mistakes and our paradigms may not line up with those around us, but we can learn from each other--even, and especially, from those relationships that don't work out.

And there lies the hope that we may become a little richer in the long run.

julie said...

"...looking for perfection was not such a good idea because some of those divine characteristics we are looking for are best developed together".

I love this line! It feels right to me. I believe that I can experience a lot of growth and develop many divine characteristics as a single woman; however, due to the intrinsic nature of relationships, I always find that I grow in ways I could never imagine when I'm in a relationship. I surmise that it's even more true when in an eternal married relationship.

warnser said...

Thanks for all the comments you guys are awesome! (and I really do like hearing what everybody thinks).

Sarah thanks for your thoughts.
And yes it's tricky to balance optimism with rose colored glasses. I am a strong believer in both optimism and seeing the best in people.

I think your perspective (with a slight tint of pink) is probably a very good way to see.

Jand thanks for your thoughts, I couldn't agree more. Especially when you talk about growing together, and growing with love and trust.

Julie I agree... bigger relationship, bigger growth, bigger happiness, bigger everything.

It's like a bank account.
If you have a small account you get a small return, but you still get more if you put more in. If you have a larger/ better account you get a larger return, and you get way more out for every mite you put in.