Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Jules Verne Experience

It started with a book, and then there was a blog, and then a friend inspired by the book inquired about a blog. I'm pretty sure it didn't quite go as it was planned, but here I am embarking on the journey (even though technically the idea was directed at moi. 80 days to get around the world: how do I do it?

My first thought when I think about this, is eighty days: that's like the jet lag that never ends.
So the first thing I thought about is how to make this into a vacation instead of just a task.
I'll try to share what makes each place work, and a little bit of insight into how and why I got there, but I'm not going to spend a lot of time researching all the details that I would need to actually take the trip.

Day 1: Salt Lake City Utah to Seattle Washington.
This is basically just practical. Its a nice slow start, but I get to go someplace I've never been.
I'd love to see the sights of the city, but I'm just there for a glimpse.

Day 2:
After a somewhat leisurely morning, and perhaps a quick trip to the museum,
I take a short flight to Canadia. It's a relatively short flight, just over 400 miles, in a north-northwest direction. The plane lands at the Canada's own Jasper National Park.

Days 3 -9: For the better part of seven days I would then work my way from the top of Jasper to the bottom of Banff (also a NP). I imagine I'd take a nice horseback ride through some of the most breathtaking mountains in the world, stop to take in the lakes and the waterfalls. We might travel by boat, and maybe by small plane, but I imagine that most of this phase would be done with a car, maybe a lincoln, they're incredibly comfortable (but not mine, it's feeling sick right about now, and I haven't decided whether I should shoot, or nurse it back to health).

Day 9: Fly south to Glacier National Park
Day nine is really just a continuation of Day's 3- 9, but it happens on the US side of the border. It has always been a goal of mine to travel to Glacier NP, well at least as long as I can remember (maybe ten years or so, plus or minus five... ish). It's one of the perfect spots in the trip for some camping.

Days 10-13 GNP.
It's definitely one of the places that I want to spend some time. It seems very awe-inpiring.

Day 13 Fly to Yellowstone,
Oddly enough, I don't think I've been there (at least not since I was old enough to remember it, I heard that we went when I was young).

Day 14 Yellowstone to Pigeon Forge Tennessee.
In the spring of 2004 my family stumbled upon the most amazing city in the world: there's a miniature golf course on every corner! I'm not kidding. So in the evening after I had settled in my hotel, I'd definitely play the back nine of a course or two.

Day 15
More mini-golf, and lots of relaxin'. Maybe I'd even talk a little hike through the mountains: the Great Smokey Mountains. And maybe it would be a nice day for a little bike ride, and then in the evening perhaps a little more mini - golf, if I'm not tired of it yet. Ü.

Day 16 Pigeon Forge to Boston MA
In fifth grade I did my state report on Massachusetts. Ever since I've kind of had an affinity for the place. Admittedly this is not a major stop, but a nice place with a lot of history.

Day 17 - 18
Leisure time in Massachusetts: visiting some of said places with history. Probably involving a carriage ride, just because I can.

Day 19 - 23 Greenland
On the morning of the 19th day I would fly from Massachusetts (or somewhere near there) to the edge of Greenland (the bottom edge). Greenland is primarily a stop of convenience, but while I'm there, I plan to make the most of it. Maybe some whale watching, and a little helicopter ride from one part to the next.

On day 24 phase one of my journey would complete as I fly from Greenland to England, and sleep!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yea! It's so fun...!

As I read I thought, "when is he going to get out of N. America?" Which made me wonder how much time I would want to spend in N. America. I mean, technically, I could spend the whole 80 days here, because of ALL we have. But, it's here and I supposed I take it for granted.

Some of the most beautiful things and the most fun I've had has been in "my own backyard."

Miranda said...

I'm so excited to see the rest of the days. You should totally do this. I will have to think of my own journey. I think mine would get out the the US a lot faster. Africa!

julie said...

I know we talked about this last night, but since it's always nice to get comments, I'll write what I said last night.

I had the same thought as Sarah about the amount of time you're spending in N. America because in the book and movies, the characters rush from place to place and your trip is quite leisurely. Then I remembered that you have airplanes at your disposal and they didn't, so you can afford to take your time.

When I go around the world, I'm not limiting myself to 80 days, but I'm not taking any airplanes.

JanD said...

Two things:

1. Awesome book! One of my all time favorites-possibly because they ride in a hot air balloon and talk about cool science stuff.

2. Glacier National Park is gorgeous.

tearese said...

nice, looks like you're planning well. But you need to spend more than one day in Seattle. You could take the ferry to one of the islands (Bainbridge, San Juans) and ride your bike around, or take an even longer ferry ride and visit Victoria, Ca. Its a beautiful city. Judging by your other destinations, you would probably also enjoy a drive to Mt. Rainier where you could hike around.
Plus, when you're in the city, you'd want to do the Underground Tour (ask Cardine and Sarah), as well as see the Space Needle, which is on the other side of downtown. Oh, and Canoeing on Lake Washington....the University rents out canoes for the afternoon really cheap.
Just a few things for your virtual trip.

warnser said...

Sarah, thanks for the idea.

I think it is awesome that everyone is saying that I should get out of the USA faster... except Tearese, she says I should stay in Seattle a lot longer. Perhaps If I finish with a few days to spare that would be a good place to add them. I'm sure that I won't see everything in my measly 80 days, and honestly I doubt that I would really want to. I want to see a lot, but also to sit back and enjoy some of the things that I see. Also I'm trying to create a diverse experience, some place will be for one thing, and some places for another, even though both places may have the possibility of providing good experiences in both ways.

Anyway thanks for all the comments

stay tuned
Ü