Sunday, November 22, 2009

Games People Play

I know this sounds a lot like a post that I just made, but I started this one first... I promise. I did!
Never the less I have some things that I would like to say about games, so I will just say them.

I like games.  Actually I like them a lot. I have a lot of good games, but I think there is plenty of room for my collection to grow.  And as tradition in  my house is to generally get a game or two for Christmas, I figured this was as good a time as any to share some insights about some games.
What I like and why I like it.

Mostly I look for games that fall into a niche that I don't have a lot of. Of course there are some good games in the niches that I do have too.  So here is a selection of some of the games that interest me most.

  1. HARE AND TORTOISE - It was the Spiel des Jahres in a year that, I feel connected to, and It is a strategy game for 2 - 6 players. And I have a bit of an affinity for games with 2-6 players.  Sometimes there are more than 4 people in a group. and sometimes there are less, a 2-6 player game is practically perfect... for some things anyway.
  2. Acquire - Thank you Devin! I love this game and I would love to have this game. And Devin was the one who introduced it to me.  3-6 players.
  3. Hit or Miss - I remember the first time I played this game, I was skeptical at best. But turns out it's a really really fun game, especially for parties... oh and for smart people. There's a good balance of strategy and skill, and it's a game for 3-8 players.  (3-6 is good, 3-8 is better).
  4. Incan Gold - Most Excellent. Alan R. Moon. And 3-8 players. I may be in love.
  5. Bohnanza - What a great game.  It's one part pit, and one monopoly, and just plain fun.  It's fast - ish, and versatile... and in theory it comes with an expansion pack (there are lots of expansions available).  3-7 players, but I've played it with as many as 11 people... I think.
  6. Agricola - I've never played this game but Devin says it is great, and I trust Devin and his taste in games. I really want to play this game. Unfortunately this game is a little bit more than some of the others, but I hear it is so worth it. 1-5 players.
  7. Fauna - Spiel des Jahres, but not available.
  8. Enchanted Forest - It's a game for ages 6 and up, but magically it seems playable by the ups. a solid game for people of all ages. Once again, 2-6 players.
  9. Scotland Yard or Mister X - My best friend introduced me to Scotland yard quite a few years ago.  Mister X is it's sequel.  It's a little tense sometimes, yeah it's suspenseful,  but it's a good game for 3-6 players.
  10. Railway Rivals / Dampfross -  It's not a short game, and to be honest I'm not sure how it compares with Ticket to Ride. But hey it was the Spiel des Jahres in '84 and it's 2-6 players.
  11. Such a Thing - Another good party game that sounds pretty fun. 2 -10 players.
  12. Pick Picknic or Razzia -  I like ravesnburger as a company, and It did win the S-d-J, but I'd totally pick the Picknic one over the Razzia, but I am intrigued.  2-6 players.
  13. Tutankhamen - S-d-J, cheap, and fast. 2 -6 players
  14. Slide 5 -  Cheap and fast card game 2 -10 players
  15. Medici - S-d-J  I know the line is getting a little old but I really like Spiel des Jahres games. It doesn't hurt that it's set in the Mediterranean. 3- 6 players
  16. Mü and Lots More - It's four card games in one. Awesome. Each with it's own way to win the trick. 2 -8 players.
  17. Elfenland - Spiel des Jahres and by the same guy who made "Ticket to Ride." It's not a short game, but it has to be good.  2-6 players.
  18. Citadels - Excellent choice.  It's a card game, kind of seems like BANG! 2 -7 players.
  19. Metro - It's another S-d-J and another train game, but every one seems interesting in it's own unique way. 2-6 players.
  20. Frank's Zoo - It's a card game, a trick taking card game. But you can play it with up to seven players. 4-7 players.
  21. TransAmerica - DAh it's a train game. If I actually got it, then everybody would have to stop refering to the other train game as "The Train Game." This one has an expansion pack which may or may not be essential. oh yeah S-d-J. 2-6 players.
  22. Alhambra - It seems pretty interesting, kind of like Carcassone and Settlers mixed. There are five expansions, but I'm not sure which ones are the best (and they can be mixed and matched). I have heard that the first and the fifth, are probably the weakest. S-d-J. 2-6 players
  23. Fische Fluppen Frikadellen - hard to find 2 -15 players (if you get three different sets)
  24. Mausen - Card Game 3-6 players.... can you tell it's getting late yet?
  25. Viva Il Re! - 3-6 players preorder only
  26. Typo - It's a word game and a card game. 2-6 players.
  27. Wicked Witches Way - yeah yeah S-d-J. and 2-6 players. yada yada yada.
  28. Jamaica - I little bit spicey... or um pricey. More S-d-J. and 2-6 players. and pirates. what could go wrong?
  29. Time's up - A last minute addition. You've probably already played it. But this is the actual game. It's a person guessing game. Three rounds, progessively harder and progressively funnier (if we were playing it we'd probably just write names and put them in a large bowl. Julie-style).
  30. Why did the Chicken - Another good party game. Another last minute addition. Good party games are always welcome. the end.
there you have it 30 of perhaps the most interesting games, that I don't have. Most of them I have never even played. But I want to. I can't garantee that all my links work, and no I'm not going to check them.  If I was really smart I would link them to Amazon, so I could make some money from this... but I just don't have the time or ambition right now. Maybe at a future date. What do you think?

    3 comments:

    Anonymous said...

    What I think: I realized that I don't really care what I'm playing. I've discovered the reason I enjoy playing games is because it allows me to interact with friends.

    What I also think: I haven't played games in such a looooooooonnnnnnnnng time. I am waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyy overdue for a good game night.

    julie said...

    I also love games, but not all games, and not all games that you have loved. Variety...it's the spice of life, right? Anyhoo, my family and I used to LOVE playing Scotland Yard! Oh I hope you get it! If you do, can I play it with you???

    Sarah, are you going to be here for Thanksgiving? Shiree might be. Cardine will be. Maybe we should all get together for games? Warnser, you'd definitely be invited as well...and not just because I'm posting this on your blog! :)

    Anonymous said...

    No. :(

    I'm heading to WA this Thanksgiving. :)

    And, Julie, I figure we'll miss each other at Christmastime, too. *sniff*