Saturday, February 04, 2006

Challenge....I Accept!

So the other day I took a business trip, (to get my new computer (which I really love)). I was visiting a colleague. But the visit went long so I got really hungry. Naturally I went looking for food. I'm glad that I still have that primal instinct, I think it's helps one survive (though I know many that don't have it, but I think they are still alive). I had eaten breakfast at about 9:00 and that was hours ago (5-6 give or take a little) I almost stopped a few times, but the places I passed were foreign to me, and I thought I should get the most for my money, even if the company was paying, so I drove on. I passed one of everything, then I decided to stop for a good ole' fashioned burger. My restaurant of choice was Fuddruckers. I had never eaten there before but how can you go wrong when the business name includes the words worlds greatest burgers. I entered and it was empty, but who eats at quarter to three anyway. As I entered, I noticed the infamous wall of fame. Two boards full of pictures streched before me, but what did they mean? Then I noticed a sign. The sign told me of the 1lb challenge. (now this may not sound terribly hard, but as the sign stated, many have tried, many have failed). I was charging it to the company, so money was certainly less relevant, actually probably I had greater freedom because of that. I kept thinking, could I really do it?
All you have to do is buy a one pound burger, and a thing of fries, (you're choice either chili or cheese, and a sundae. And the best part, there's no time limit! I decided I could definately try. If you succeed you get a lovely T-shirt, and anytime you wear it you get 10% off. They have 8 different 1lb.ers and I picked the Southwest burger (guacamole, bacon, and pepperjack, on a homemade bun). I also decided to go with the Cheese Fries ( I think it was a good decision, you never know what you'll get with chili). The server asked if I wanted the fast challenge. I had no clue what she was talking about. If you finish the meal in ten minutes, your next meal is free! I didn't know if I could do it, so I was mostly just going for the challenge. The burger comes out and it's big! Really big. You add your own toppings, so I decided to go light, some onion, tomato, no lettuce, but plenty of sauces. Needless to say it was very messy. What I didn't know is that you get a ton of fries, and they're not those wimpy fast food fries, these are big steak fries, a whole plate full. I started my meal. I started my sundae. mmmm it was good, but I couldn't make myself hurry. Good food is meant to be savored. Savor I did. I ate with a steady determination, but I certainly wasn't going to set any speed records. I ate and ate, it started to look daunting. Potatoes don't just slide right down, but Ice cream, I think ice cream does. I decided to save the rest of my ice cream until the end. And so I ate, and I ate and I ate and I ate, and then suddenly my food was all gone. I had joined the club. My picture was going on the wall. If I go back 23 three times, the meal will have paid for itself. (it took me fifteen minutes). But the satisfaction was great! now everyone in Layton can know that I am an animal. The nice part was that I wasn't overstuffed, but I was still full the rest of the day. ahhhh. Satisfaction. ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH? Appearantly I am!

8 comments:

tearese said...

Good job. Joseph says he's heard of Fudruckers, and now he wants to go to one so he can get a t-shirt too. ON his mission he went to a place where you had to eat two football size burritos to get a t-shirt, and he and his companions did it. I think its called El Famouse Burrito. He's very proud, but I'm always a little embarassed when he tells the story.

Cardine said...

I hope that I'm not man enough to do it. Actually, the steak fries would kill me. I could probably do the burger, and if it had some steamed broccoli on the side, maybe, but ... steak fries. No way. I'd be toast.

Anonymous said...

I had an experience where the person I was with was not "man enough". Somewhat embarrassing for him, but mostly I was glad that he ate moderately.

He got the chili fries.

C. Jane Kendrick said...

Warnser,
What is the purpose in that, really?
P.S. Congratulations

julie said...

Hmmm. I think I could do it, but definitely not in 15 minutes. On second thoughts, I don't think I could. I'm not much of a hamburger person. Cardine, maybe we could be co-men. You take the burger and I'll take the steak fries. Yum...steak fries. :)

Good job Warnser!

warnser said...

I would say this is one of the easier challenges that I have seen. Wholely customizable, but still rather tasty.
And I think the weight is pre cooking. Next time I would put every thing on my burger.

warnser said...

Purpose? what purpose?
Why do they do it? I have no idea. Maybe they want to be mentioned on really cool blogs,
(my photo said that's what I would do with it)
Or maybe it is something else.
I did it for the free food,
and for the challenge,
and so I could feel like I had accomplished something.

It was a way for me to get my five minutes of fame, and I did.

thanks all around

Lydia said...

What an insight into the meaning of manhood. That's amazing!