Monday, February 18, 2008

Tzatziki! Tzatziki.

I know there there are many moments that you have all been waiting for,
but the one to trump them all is finally here.

Yep , I'm posting Tzatziki.
The recipe you've been dying to have.

This is the Recipe as I found it. (mildly lame, or otherwise impaired)
1lb yougurt
2 cloves garlic
1 cucumber
1 tsp dillweed.

serves eight
Serves eight?
are they kidding like as a drink or what?
you could easily serve more than eight with that batch.

Well oddly enough I wasn't very satisfied with my tzatziki.
so I added some things,
and then I did it again,
and again and again.

appearently how you make your tz dip is as important as what you include.

for instance do you grate the cuc?
do you take out the seeds?
do you blend the whole thing (in a blender)?
how long should it sit before eating?
what type of garlic do you use?
etc.
etc.
etc.

I'm not going to answer all your questions,
you kind just have to feel your way through it,
but I will share some of my tips.

Number one seeds in your Cuc' make your tzatziki more runny.
Shredding your Cuc' makes tzakziki more runny,
(shredding a cuc' with seeds, will make it even more runny).
and then if you blend it, it's puts this runnyness to shame.

Some runnyness will add to the quality of your dip,
but how much you will is a personal thing.

Also American yogurt is just not the same as the Greek stuff.

so to thicken, and adjust the recipe,
I cut the yogurt with sour cream.

Did I mention that I have no idea what I'm doing?
yeah,
I kin'na just feel it.
(not literally that would be gross) but I think it's kind of intuitive.
you'll get it after a while.

So my Tzatziki (version 4.0 or something like that.)

I buy a large tub of yogurt. (it might be a lb, but I'm not sure)
it's about five inches high, by three inches around or something like that (I'm just guessing)
I usually look for live cultures,
but I'm not sure that it matters.

and make sure you don't get the fruity, or vanilla stuff (it won't work the same way)

Ok so here is my recipe.

Appox. 1/2 tub plain yogurt.
1/2 a tub sour cream
(sour cream should be standard size which is about 1/2 the size of the yogurt)
(thus it turns out to be about 2/3 yogurt, and 1/3 sour cream)
1 Cucumber
If your cucumber is big it might only take a half
I like to shred mine, but of course you can chop or dice or slice
and sometimes I let it drain off some of the juices
1 tsp Dill
And now for my special signature touches
1/4 tsp onion powder
2 Tbls. Olive oil
2 or 3 drops of lemon juice
It doesn't take much, but it adds a lot

some parsley and or mint
and 1/2 tsp celery salt. (can use 1/4 tsp salt instead if you prefer)

Serve with pita chips, over meat, or however you want really .
ttfn
and
Kali Orexi

4 comments:

Cardine said...

This is my dream come true. And you had me going for a minute that you were only going to post the original recipe, and then I was going to come in here and complain, but then you pulled out a perfect 10 and posted the most awesome recipe ever.

THANK YOU SO MUCH!

Also, I really like that you grate the cucumber. I've noticed that, and I think it makes it awesome.

Anonymous said...

Ah... I miss those good ol' golden Tzatziki days... sigh...

julie said...

Warnser, you're the best! Even though I've made tzatziki with you twice now, I still wouldn't remember all the details, so this is awesome!

Thank you!!!!!

warnser said...

Serve with Baked pita chips

Mix:
1 Cup Extra virgin Olive oil.
2 tbls. Paprika.
1 tsp. chili powder
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1 tsp. garlic salt

Cut one bag of soft pita bread into strips about 1" x 3"

Spread oil mixture over pita bread,
bake at 350 until cheese starts to turn golden.

Let cool, and dip in Tzatziki