Monday, April 26, 2010

Diary of a Delegate: First Week

I was selected as a delegate on March 23rd, on March 24th I received my first call. It was not a big deal, but already I knew things were going to be a little different for me for a while.

By the weekend I had started receiving mail from various candidates.

Saturday I began to rethink this whole thing, I was getting a fair amount of calls and mail, usually a couple of each per day.
This wasn't necessarily a bad thing, I just wondered if I would have time for it all when things began to pick up.

Saturday night there was an open house for one of the "local" candidates.
The meeting was held at another delegates house. When I got there I was a little surprised. There were a bunch of cars parked at the end of a very long driveway, one of the longest driveways I have ever seen. I parked the car and and started my journey toward the house. At the door I was greeted by the person who told me about the event, it was nice to finally meet him.
And then I met the candidate. He was nice, and I think he had a true belief that he could make a difference, but I began to wonder how much he really knew about our state when he slaughtered the pronunciation of one of the counties, and no in case you're wondering it wasn't even one of the counties that I expect people to mispronounce.

I guess there were more people there before I arrived, because the crowd was pretty thin while I was there. I knew most of the other people who came, and it was kind of interesting to here peoples questions, and to see how there were answered, but I admit I was a little surprised by the experience, I guess I expected more people. I ate a few sugar cookies, had a glass of cheap root beer and called it a night.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's funny - which county? (If you prefer anonymity, then you can tell me some other way than this blog.)

And, yeah, my dad sent me a picture text of you a week or so ago. I couldn't tell it was you - I still can't actually - it was a pretty dark photo.