Tuesday, April 06, 2010

Diary of a Delegate: Genesis

In the beginning there was nothing, so I started a blog: a political blog.

And it grew
and it grew

and it GREW!

Last year I noticed that the local political coverage was not giving me the information that I wanted, so I decided to do something about it, I went forth and began interviewing the local candidates. Through the course of my interviews I learned quite a lot about a good number of candidates. I also gained something of a reputation as... um... well, for lack of a better word, expert (though I myself still strongly deny these accusations).

To make a long story short, my local political precinct chairperson moved, and I was asked if I would take over, you know, for the interim. I said I would.

Now being a precinct Chairperson is not a terribly hard thing to do, it's basically only a few weeks of work in a year, and they basically walk you through it step by step. Nonetheless, I could tell that the few weeks of work may not be the most convenient weeks for me to be needed.

I felt that I wanted to be informed, and involved, so the idea of being a state delegate seemed a little appealing. But I didn't go into our neighborhood caucus meeting with expectations of "winning" anything.

Almost as quickly as I had started the meeting I was reinstated as the precinct chairman. I decided worse things could happen, so I just let it go.

Then we voted on county delegates. I didn't even want to be a county delegate, but someone (my mom) forgot which thing they were supposed to nominate me for, so instantly I was nominated. This I also won quite handily (along with 2 others from our group).

And then came the nominations for state delegates, this was the big one, and I kind of wanted to do it. Only two of us were even interested in the position. I didn't really lobby hard for it, but I must have said the right things; I won by something like one vote.

And just like that I was a delegate,
and a delegate,

And a precinct chair.

It seemed like a pretty good idea at the time, but honestly I had no idea what I was getting into.
"My diary of a delegate" will take you through my experience, both the good and the bad (to the best of my remembrance), and this is how it began.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations!! Can't wait to hear all about it.