Tuesday, January 17, 2006

All about the numbers


If you are reading this blog, I hope you have read the last one.
if not, please go back, read it and comment.
If you read it but didn't comment, shame on you.
Shame Shame Shame!
so this week I decided to talk about numbers.
first there is math, math is cool, but that's not really my subject today.
mostly I think people can't do math, because most math teachers are idiots.
No really they're not that smart, and they have no idea how to "Teach" math.
I'm sorry if that was your experience too.
Which leads me to my second un-topic.
NUMB3RS
I'm a big fan.
it's interesting yes it's one of those stupid crime shows,
(I know, there must be about a zillion of them these days, And I really despise them, except Numbers, but that's a subject for another day) but it's not graphic, and gory, and full of stuff you don't wan't to see.

Nope this post is about SUDOKU
I like it. If you haven't met, let me introduce you,

You, SUDOKU,
SUDOKU, You.

It's pretty simple,
you just put the numbers (1-9) in each column,
each row, and each box, but don't repeat a number in any row, column, box.
It takes no math skill, so if you had one of those teachers...
Or even if you had many of them, you should still be able to do it.

I guess I'm a bit addicted,
it's really fun,
and good for you.
and the best part is anyone can do it,
sure there are a few tricks that you learn,
but you don't really have to know much to get started.
just find a spot that needs a number, or find a number that needs a spot.
After I got hooked, I hooked my sister,
(it was my mom's idea)
and now we have a family of SUDOKU-ers
If you need a puzzle,
you can go to Sudoku.Com
Or you can go to Walmart Ü
I didn't find a lot of options at my Walmart, but I found one,
And then there was Deseret Book.
I went in, and THEY had Sudoku,
They had page a day calendera (75% off).
they had cheap books (also discounted)
they had Sudoku for Dummies (I'm not kidding)
and many other Sudoku options.
Plus DB has tons of cool stuff anyway.

So If you haven't tried it yet, give it a whirl,
it's pretty fun, or even better.
thanks for reading.
ttfn

7 comments:

tearese said...

My husband is good at games like that...I'm horrible. We have these woodblock puzzles, where you put all the pieces together into a neat 3-D shape, and I can't even do the simple one with four or five pieces, even after I was shown how. I guess its just not an aptitude of mine. Seeing patterns is a gift. I don't have it.

warnser said...

Hmm this is very odd,
I would think that some one like yourself (who is good at art) would have the whole spatial/ relational thing down. odd, very odd.

Anonymous said...

I saw those puzzles in a store one time and wondered about them... they look interesting. I saw the "...for Dummies" one and wondered if I should start with that one (no offense to myself, of course). However, I did not buy any of them at that time (or since).

Cardine said...

I've never done it and will have to try sometime.

warnser said...

I highly recommend them. We will definately have them available at nest week's party. (but there will be other stuff too)

tearese said...

I think there are different types of puzzles and spatial relationships. On that army test in highschool (ASFAB) mechanical comprehension was my highest score, in like the 99th percentile. Maybe I just have a mental block because I THINK I can't do the puzzles, like I thought I couldn't do math even though my grades were fine.
OF course I can see art-type patterns like in nature, etc. But thats different right? Unless, you believe the patterns in nature are like fractals (I watched a PBS special that said they were) but thats another story.
The End

warnser said...

I think we will be surprised when we learn just how connected art, and math, and math and everything really are. I think our greatest math problem is in the teaching.

Congratulations Refi