Wednesday, January 18, 2006

Hey Steve

Hey Steve!
Good job, really wow. I can't believe you've done it again. I can't believe I knew this was going to happen and I did nothing about it. Sometime last year I started monitoring the stock from one of my favorite companies. I knew they were about to do something big, actually they've been doing it for a while, but I just last year decided to monitor their stock. but I should have bought instead of just started watching. Ok, I know, I didn't have any money, and basically, I still don't. But then why should that stop me. I AM CERTAINLY NOT TELLING ANYONE TO GO OUT AND BUY STOCK. THE STOCK MARKET IS A VERY FRAGILE AND RISKY PLACE TO PLAY WITH YOUR MONEY. SOMETIMES STOCK IS A GOOD IDEA, but this is not an endorsement.
Actually I should have bought Five years ago. Instead I bought shares in a mutual fund, and not even a fund that I really liked. Actually this stock didn't really take off till about three years ago,
but if I had bought this instead of my mutual fund, my money would have doubled itself, and then it would have doubled again, and again, and yes one more time in the past few months. I really did think about switching, but I didn't want to pay a penalty, but now, anything goes, and yes once again, I will probably be just a little off the mark.

I If was buying then, I would now buy Apple, Pixar, and of course if I could go back, I would buy google too. If I was buying now, I would seriously look at sony, but probably only for the next few months, two maybe three at most, but just as a buying period. Of course, I know nothing about the stock market, and I have no training in this area (see above disclaimer).

Steve Jobs, just happens to be the big cheese at Apple and Pixar.
Steve's companies just happen to be doing really well these last few years. This Blog happens to be about the former. More specifically some of the really cool things they have done.

Everybody in technology knew this day was coming. Steve told us last year that it was. But the way he did shocked everyone (even me, and I knew all but one of the details).
"Companies don't typically under promise and over deliver, and that's exactly what Apple has done,"
Sam Bhavnani, analyst with Current Analysis

So what did Steve Promise us?
He said that sometime in 2006, probably the first half, we would see the first MAC with an intel processor. Actually he released Two macs in almost the first week of 2006 and they both have Two intel processors. Okay so the two processor part was not a huge surprise. Everyone thought he would tell us on Jan. 9th when we could buy one, but nobody thought he would say January 9th.

(I hope he doesn't mind that I took his picture). Still this alone, is only mostly impressive (as opposed to mostly dead).

Yes I feel the need to expound. This is about the coolest computer ever created. The other computer they released is pretty dang cool too. Both computers come ready out of the box. Just plug in the power cord and go. (okay so you have to spend about 40 bucks to make this one that easy, but hey how cool is that. I f you choose to go a different route, then everything plugs in with USB (still really easy) And did you see the price, that's pretty good <----

They say it's twice as fast but that's a conservative estimate (the laptop is four times as fast as the last one they released, and it's thinner). This one is about three inches wide, and you can get it with wireless keyboard and mouse.

I don't have time to tell you just how cool they are, and probably you don't even care, but let me just give you a couple feature that I like:

MacBook Pro:
Thin really thin
Magnetic power, (never have to worry about someone tripping on your cord again, it just pops right off)
Mac OS 10.4 (no explanation needed)
Two processors
Built in camera ( new and improved)
Etc. Etc. Etc.

IMAC

Probably the easiest computer to use on earth
Comes in 17 inch and 20 inch LCD sizes (and that's all there is to it, no box)
you can get it with two 2 GHZ processors.
Comes with brand new software.
and will likely not be long before a lot of windows software will run natively
(currently you can run anything for about a hundred bucks more, and most software is already available on a mac)
It's strong, it's beautiful, it's well built, and it will likely never have to be shut down
(or in my case it would never decided to randomly shut done on me)




In short Apple did the unthinkable, which of course is what they have been doing for about four years now. Shame on them for being so amazing, shame on us for failing to notice.
Way to Go Steve.


9 comments:

tearese said...

But are macintoshes still incompatible with so many other computers?
Some people I know are making tons of money on those pyramid schemes on the internet, which is weird to me because I always thought they were fake. But they say they know people who make their livings investing in them. Those are probably more riskier than the stockmarket though ,I think.

julie said...

I've learned a little about the stock market in my years as a business major. It seems less scary with a little knowledge. Yes, there are risks but you get PAID for the exact proportion of risk involved. How many other things in life can promise the same? :)

tearese said...

so, this comment has to do with your numbers blog, but I thought no one would go back there, so I put it here. Anyway. In an amazing coincidence, Joseph brought home a Soduko puzzle paper from his math class the other day. It included some background info on the game and I thought you'd like to know. It said:
Sodoku is not of Japanese origin. The first known sodoku puzzle appeard in a New York puzzle magazine in 1979, under the name of Number Place.
The puzzles didn't reach Japan until the mid-1980's. The company Nikoli saw an American number problem and introduced it to the readers of their puzzle magazine in 1984 under the name Sunji wa dokushin ni kagiru, shortened to sudoku- meaning single number, because just one number is in each cell. They soon becaqme highly popular, and now some 15 Japanese sodoku magazines and 30 books are published monthly.
In 1997 Wayne Gould, a retired High Court American Judge living in Hong Kong discovered sudoku and spent a few years designing computer programs to produces puzzles of varying difficulty which he provided to newspapers around the world.
(There was more info, but I figured thats enough for today.)

Cardine said...

Yeah, there was one time when I thought I would use all that valuable knowledge I gained from my decision modeling class to create a program that would basically calculate the best stocks for me to purchase. I never did it. There's still time, but ... I've been lazy. Weird, my dad and I just talked about stocks today.

julie said...

Cardine, that is a great idea! We could pool our knowledge and make a great model. Then we could make millions of dollars - both by using the model to pick profitable stocks and by selling our model to other people.

warnser said...

Some Stock has risk, but some of it is relatively safe. And almost everybody's retirement has some stock in it. A wise man once told me that the best way to get the most out of your money is to study it. I think he recommended 4 hours a week.

warnser said...

Mac's... Incompatible?
I'm not sure what you mean?
they use the same hardware. So that part is pretty universal.

Most programs are made in both Mac and Windows versions (even Microsoft office) so that would make them just like any other computer. (If you don't have the software it doesn't matter which OS you use, you're still incompatible.

Apple can run virtual windows, so for the same price you would pay for XP you can add it to your make and literally do anything the PC will do.

Apple computers can be read anything that comes from a PC.

But Apples do sometimes have to be set to output some filetypes so that they can be used on a PC.

Yes this is a little technical,
but it is a built in feature, and certainly not hard.

And finally Macs network with PCs seemlessly.

Are they 100% compatible?
No. but basically. the incompatibilities will likely never slow you down.

Also now that both run on intel chips, it is very likely that their compatibility is even higher than ever before.

Wow, I'm still long winded.

warnser said...

Pyramid Schemes are technically illegal. yea, many pyramids find ways around the law, but for the most part only a very few people ever make much money through these things.

I would definately pick stocks.

warnser said...

Tearese,
I love that you posted a comment for a previous blog here. I had actually heard some of that history, but thank you for sharing it with us.