Saturday, March 11, 2006

I was wrong... sort of

So the other day I was talking with some friends.
We were talking about movies, and I thought I had something interesting to add.
However, I was shortly proved wrong, and I felt kind of stupid.

But on further investigation I have found the true answer to the situation.
Raiders of the Ark was not the first PG-13 movie and neither was the Temple of Doom.
But The temple of doom was the movie that brought it into existance.
basically the film industry said, we really shouldn't have given that a PG, so let's make a new rating so we don't feel so bad next time.
From the IMDB we read:


Generally credited (along with Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom (1984)) with the introduction of the PG-13 rating, as many felt the scenes of violence in both movies were too much for a PG rating, but not enough for an R rating. It is also widely believed that had 'Steven Spielberg' 's name not been on both movies, they may have received an R rating.


Oh yeah that was talking about gremlins (also produced by Spielburg).

So heres the history.

In 1950 the MPAA introduced X
that was the first movie rating.
Either you were or you weren't,

And hopehully you weren't

Then 18 years later they came out with G, PG, And R

Then finally Spielburg went to far, and in 1984 (16 years) the rating system changed again.

Well there you have it, I was rong, but not anymore.
ttfn Warnser

PS, the first movie released with the PG-13 rating was actually Red dawn,
and it was listed in the record books as the goriest movie ever.

(one was given a 13 first but it wasn't released as quickly)

10 comments:

tearese said...

That was very informative. I think I learned some of that in my film appreciation class at SUU, but had forgotten it. Which, I think I would be scared to take a film appreciation class outside of Utah because you would never know what kind of shows you'd be required to watch. However, I have seen Red Dawn, when I was really young. Thats the one where the Russians invade, right? I think it scared me because I'd never thought about people invading the USA before. Anyway.

warnser said...

That's how I like it,
educational, and entertaining at the same time. I think you might even have to worry about that class at SUU these days. I'm not sure that any school is safe anymore.
(of course we do live in the Mecca of edited movies, Which reminds me...)
I'm not sure on the details of red dawn, but it doesn't sound like a movie that I would like.

Cardine said...

Ah, Red Dawn. Another Patrick Swayze and Jennifer Grey movie. You may remember PS and JG from such films as Dirty Dancing, which I have come to realize, is quite popular around these parts.

Um, yeah. I saw Red Dawn when I was younger (in the 80's to be precise), and I don't remember it as being gory. But, I am like Tearese, as well, and remember that it was scary because the war was being fought on the USA soil. It must have been a very impactful movie to a young person for both of us to remember it like that. I also remember that I liked it and wanted to see it again. I will have to rent it sometime.

Anyway. The 80's were a rough time for movie ratings. You just can't trust them. Nudity was all over the place in PG's back then. I am okay with Indiana Jones being PG-13, instead of R, but I do recall that my Indiana Jones movies have the PG ratings on the back. Were they demoted? All I know is that the freakiest scene would have to be when the guy pulls out the pumping heart. EEEEEWWWWW! It's kind of like an Itchy & Scratchy cartoon. Oh, wait...

Cardine said...

PS Gremlins was such a cool very scary movie to me! I always liked the part when they came through the movie screen that was showing "Snow White." Yes, very, very scary.

tearese said...

Gremlins was scary to me as a kid, the second one was funny and corney. The indiana jones movies were also very scary then, but I love them now. I really hate the heart part in Temple of Doom. As a kid, I remember being shocked that I was allowed to watch the first one, especially at the melting faces part at the end. (which seems very fake now).
JOseph is very sensitive about movies like that even though he watched alot as a kid. When we watch a show thats even slightly scary, I have to hold him down and help him not be scared! Its cute.

tearese said...

omgosh... I meant hold his hand, not hold him down! Was that a fruedian slip or what?

warnser said...

It appears that my blog wasn't as clear as I thought it was.

When Indiana Jones/ Gremlins came out there was no PG-13. The MPAA had to decide between R and PG, Clearly PG was the wrong decision, so after the movies were released a new rating was created. (PG-13) and it started to appear later that year.
Yes the ratings of 80's movies are sketchy at best.
but then so are the ratings of most movies.

tearese said...

I understood what you meant.

Anonymous said...

I also understood.

I would like to see Gremlins again at some point, because I want to see if it still scares me. I haven't seen it since the first time/when it came out. Also... I want to see GhostBusters again for the same reason.

warnser said...

I'm glad to see that my message was somewhat understood.

Honestly, I'm surprised that anyone ever understands what I mean.