Friday, August 22, 2008

A missguided interview (with me)

I has often been noted, that some of my blogs that people look forward to most are the ones that talk about my social life. But since you're not here to ask the questions,
I decided to have an interview with myself.
(but of course I will be my typical non-descriptive slightly frustrating self, especially since no one is here to really press me for answers)

Here goes...

Reader: So I hear you play volleyball, how is it?
Writer: Well, I'm not quite ready for the Olympics yet, but the people are fun.
It's a good group of people, and we do play volleyball but we do other stuff too.

Reader:Really? What kind of other stuff do you do?
Writer: Well sometimes we play games, and sometimes we go to concerts, and sometimes its an excursion to the mountains or something else like that.

Reader: So you've got a good collection of friends?
Writer: Yeah I'd say I do.

Reader: What about dating are you doing any of that?
Writer: Yeah I'm getting back to it more or less.

Reader: Been on any good dates lately?
Writer: Yeah I'd say so, but I guess I'm only half the equation.

Reader: So is it a variety of people or is it kind of focused.
Writer: I would say it's variety of people, but I have been out a couple of times with a couple of girls.

Reader: Do you want it to be more focused?
Writer: Uh, maybe, I don't know, probably not quite just yet
(Both my standpoint, and my dating standpoint).

Reader: So what kind of prospects do you have?
Writer: Well there's the international superstar (small exaggeration... maybe),
and the long distance email girls, and some of the people that I spend time with, and a few from my ward.

Reader: How is your ward?
Writer: I like my ward, but I'm excited to see it grow. There are tons of new people in town, and I like people enough to believe that is a good thing.

Reader: So do you think your next relationship will happen as quickly as the last one?
Writer: I find that HIGHLY unlikely.

Reader: So are you Barack Obama's running mate?
Writer: If I am I may never know, cause I don't get text messages. Actually last time I checked the constitution I didn't quite qualify. And besides, I'm not running all that much these days. Just strolling.

Reader: Hmm, do the girls like that?
Writer: actually, I hear that my stroll is still a little bit fast. (What can I say, I've got a really big stride)

Reader: So I take it the girls are shorter than you?
Writer: Well I hear rumors of one that's pretty close,
but we haven't officially been on a date (you know the international superstar).
But for the most part I don't notice too much.

Reader: is it true that girls like a taller guy?
Writer: I don't know maybe we should ask them.
Actually I've heard a few things regarding height. Near as I can tell, they do like tall, but not too tall, I hear that I'm borderline, but most of the time they put me on the right side o' the line, so that's a good thing... I think.

Reader: So if you had to pick one...
Writer: Here again this is really tough, In fact the only thing I'm sure of is that I don't want to make that decision yet. Some seem to be showing a some interest, and that is always basically a good thing. And some of them seem to have some people showing interest in them (which of course gives me mixed feelings), it certainly doesn't make things easier, but in theory I would still have a chance, and then there are those that are already my friends. Ideally I would pick D) all of the above, but I'm glad I don't have to pick right now

Reader: Is there anything you would like to ask us?
Writer: Yes actually there is. A few months ago, I put out a poll on how to ask a girl out, now that I've been taught a little about that, I'd like to know what's the "best" way to end a date? more-than-one-word-answers would be preferable.
But of course if you have a talent for word efficiency then do whatever works best, but I'd really like to hear, lead the dialogue on this.

well that's all the questions that I could think of for you,
so I hope you enjoyed.
ttfn
W

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was quite entertaining. I especially liked:

"non-descriptive slightly frustrating self" (no offense, besides you're the one that wrote it)

the whole Barack Obama section (something political should always be in a good interview)

"D) all of the above, but I'm glad I don't have to pick right now" (I'm not sure why I liked this... I guess it just seems like that's how I feel a lot, too)

"Reader: Is there anything you would like to ask us?" (just plain funny)


From this girl's perspective:

height only matters to me if it matters to him. (And in a recent experience, it did, so it did.)

the "best" way to end a date... a first date?... a blind date?... I guess to me it matters how long you've been dating. In any case, I think it's nice for my date to walk me to my door. As far as what happens at that point... I'm not sure... there are too many variables. (Did I enjoy the date? Do I feel comfortable with him? Maybe I'll hug him. Maybe I'll tell him I enjoyed it. Maybe I'll discuss future plans that we could potentially go out again.)

warnser said...

Sarah your comments were awesome.
I especially like when someone says they "especially liked" something. It makes me happy that I was able to write.

Yeah let's say first date,
or blind date,
or whatnot.

The door thing I have almost got it's the "at that point" that still baffles me. It's all those variables that make it crazy,
... but then again it almost sounds like it is totally up to her, which would make my job a whole lot easier. Still I would like more info.

Cardine said...

The reason I like this post is that you are volunteering the information and interviewing yourself.

Well, for the end of a date, it depends on what your intentions are. If you are just dropping her off, then I would say the all-purpose is the walk to the door, a thank you for the good time, and a hug. And then leave. Short and sweet. It leaves less time for awkwardness.

But, if you want to make future plans, make future plans. I just think, if you want to do something, do it.

Etc. But, the less quiet time, the better, in my opinion.

julie said...

It certainly isn't just "up to her"! You have to decide what you want from the situation, too. Yes, you need to try to pick up clues from her, but don't do anything you don't actually want to do. I mean, if you're feeling like you'd like to kiss the girl on her doorstep, certainly look for signs that she'd be receptive to this move. If you don't want to kiss her, then don't. Just that easy.

I think the best way to end the date is to make it short and simple. There's no reason to linger on the doorstep. Lingering = awkwardness. Definitely walk her to the door, but at that point, quickly do whatever you want to do (thank you's, make plans, kiss, hug, etc.) then be on your way. At least, that's my preference for ending a date (until I've dated someone for awhile, but that's another story).

I'm not sure any of that came out clearly - I'm sick and not thinking clearly - but I'm not in the mood to check it and edit it if need be. So, what you see is what you get. :)

warnser said...

I don't think I've ever kissed a girl on the doorstep, but I am noticing a pattern.

Ahh yes the good ole' picking up on clues, I hate that. It always surprises me how little ability I have in this. I don't know why exactly, but it's definitely not my strong suit.

Still thanks everybody for your comments, I've appreciated them all.

julie said...

Has anyone suggested to you what clues to look for? They are pretty universal, though variations do occur.

warnser said...

I guess I don't really know the clues.
I hear things hear or there, but obviously there are variations. But even when I know the clues, sometimes I read them like they're hieroglyphics. I guess I don't want people to think they can't be nice, and also occasionally I have landed on my face.