Friday, August 08, 2008

a word from TJ

Yeah, I'm quoting him,

It makes an interesting foundation or reference to some of the things that I may one day have time to write here.

So here it is...

"Some men look at constitutions with sanctimonious reverence and deem them like the ark of the covenant, too sacred to be touched. They ascribe to the men of the preceding age a wisdom more than human and suppose what they did to be beyond amendment. I knew that age well; I belonged to it and labored with it. It deserved well of its country. It was very like the present but without the experience of the present; and forty years of experience in government is worth a century of book-reading; and this they would say themselves were they to rise from the dead." --Thomas Jefferson to Samuel Kercheval, 1816. ME 15:40

ttfn
W

1 comment:

Cardine said...

Well, Warnser, having read this and having had other discussions with you, I think that perhaps some things that have happened to you, although very painful, are all for the best ultimately. I, personally, like the word "progression."