Friday, August 29, 2008

Somehing more important

Last night was a historic first. For the first time in the history of our great nation, an African-American accepted the presidential nomination of one of the major political parties of our country. More than 80,000 people packed into a stadium, and millions more tuned in at home, to participate in this historic event; but for some there was an event of far more significance.

Last week there was a tragedy. Ten people got into a plane, but none of them got out. Their memorial was last night. Ten people whose lives touched so many others. Ten people whose love constantly strengthened those around them. And so last night, there were great things happening, and there were simple things happening. Some of the simple things had an immeasurably large effect. I chose to be a part of the simple. To show my support for those around me, and even those who may have needed me.

I applaud Barack and his followers,
but for me there was a far greater good last night.
As important as his event was, for those involved ours was more.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to all who are affected.
W.

No comments: